Tuesday, September 21

Toddler Art

Wyatt is such a GO! GO! GO! boy. It's easy to keep going with the tried and true and pass the day
  •  in the sandpit
  • playing with water
  • riding on tractors, bikes, motorbikes
  • playing with blocks
  • reading a book
But I have my intentional moments where I think, "Hmmm, I should influence an experience for Wyatt, he just might like it. This week has been art-related. We've been having so much rain in September that there hasn't been a lot of time for outside play without getting drenched. And I need his waterproofs dry for the morning when we go feed the calves, so we haven't been outside nearly as much as Wyatt needs to be. On a side note, my SPACE convener, Celia said that a prediction was made for Taranaki's September: we would only have 3 non-rain days. She's kept track and so far we haven't had hit the mark. Its wet, wet, wet!  I digress....back to intentional art.

As per my previous post, we started with markers. This week I introduced two new things: crayons and fingerpaint.


HoneySticks from naturbaby.co.nz
Draws lots of lines
likes to use markers and crayons today!

 The fingerpaint I made at SPACE on Monday. I can't believe how simple it is.

2 cups corn flour
enough cold water to make a paste
2 litres boiled water
stir until gloopy
add food coloring
 
I made very bright paint: blue, green, and red. Ashley is too little to get into it at SPACE so I brought the left overs home for Wyatt. He hasn't spent much time with playdough, gloop, slime, or paint at Playcentre. (He's too busy in the sandpit or at the water station) He didn't really know what to do with the fingerpaint. First I gave him a spoon, he changed it over to a spatula is still had out from cooking breakfast. I got him a piece of cardboard and showed him how to smear it around, he smeared it on his hair. I got him a piece of his art paper thinking that might help him get going, he smeared it on the kitchen cabinet, the handle of my steamer, the chair he was standing on, and his face. He's getting the hang of it!
It was straight into the bath after this experience. And I'm not in a hurry to do THAT at home again! Will have to encourage him at Playcentre!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment on my post, I'm so happy you read it!