Friday, March 2

Snow Flower and the Secret Fan

Snow Flower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See




This book moved me. It is my best read of 2012 so far. It was packed full of culture, gender, friendship, family relationships, and sheer discipline. I knew I was on to a page-turner when I found myself, late at night, googling images of ‘foot binding’ so that I could understand this novel. Yes, that’s right. Foot binding! As Lisa See described this process of breaking the feet to eventually reshape them to roll underneath itself, leaving only the big toe to walk on, I had to get a visual because my imagination was getting out of hand!




She soon leaves this behind and takes us further into Imperialist Chinese life. And so Lisa weaves this beautiful tale of two ‘old sames’ – two girls who become lifelong soul mates from the age of 6. As their feet heal and they look to arranged marriages, the customs of China are boldly described as Lisa See takes us on a journey of traditions, expectations, and aspirations.  

I was getting a history lesson of such detail and emotion! I was hooked from about the 2nd chapter.

The role of women in rural, Imperialist China was so vividly explained through the course of this story…I always knew boys and later men, were treasures in China, but I always attributed that to the one child law. The way Lisa depicts family life in this book opened my eyes to the history of the modern Chinese woman. They’ve only just started their journey of feminism and it will be interesting to watch this unfold further in my lifetime. For this story, women still serve two purposes – to help the mother in law in her own home and birth sons, preferably many of them! In most family situations it would be better to have a dog than to birth a second, third, or fourth daughter; at best, let the subsequent girls be still born! The cost of marriage dowries on the family is extensive. It starts from the betrothal and continues through the years until the marriage. The sacrifice on the daughter’s family is staggering!

This book was educational, insightful and moving. I highly recommend it. Sad in parts, raw in others, it was truly inspiring.  I am going to read more of Lisa See and if she carries this through her other stories.  Top marks for this one!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow those images are heart-wrenching! It must have been a challenging book to read.

Thanks for linking up your review with Mrs Readalot's Book Club. :-)

Rachel

Simoney said...

That book looks amazing! I have been thinking I'd like to read more stories about China (because I am PROBABLY going to be going there in September to visit GAIL!) so this looks perfect.
Foot binding is just mindblowing. How anyone could think it was beautiful and do that to their daughters staggers me.
Another book I've read about this was The Red Lotus.
Great Review Jamie... you've made me want to add this to my reading list!
xx

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment on my post, I'm so happy you read it!