I swore this winter, we wouldn't go away anywhere. Due with our third baby on June 19th, I refused to try and obtain a passport for a newborn on such a short time frame. Trying to photograph a newborn with no shadows, eyes open, full head exposed is IMPOSSIBLE! I refused to fly anywhere with three buckaroos. We got enough scathing looks when we flew to California in December with the two kiddos. And even though they behaved alright, it was a humbly educating experience that sometimes its just too much to take on.
Poor hubby is suffering this winter. He needs his holiday! So a compromise was struck and we agreed to drive to the East Coast to visit his sister and have some time out at Porangahau Beach for a longish weekend.
And yes, Quaid was here with us, in the pram, but I failed to take a photo! The bach we stayed in was well stocked and we got try out the Mocha Wagon, which I had wanted to buy at Christmas, but we decided a digger would be better this year. The wagon is cool, the sides lift off as one piece and then you get a trolley. W and A rode down to the beach in it.
No sooner was A unloaded, that she made a direct line, mind you, a very looong direct line for the surf. She kept looking out towards it and moving those hands and knees as quick as her little torso would let her...she made a quick couple of stops to taste the sand and play with some seaweed Alister threw them. She wasn't happy until we were so close to the water that the next big surge came all around us and I had to grab W and A in my arms, find a place to relocate the camera, and run back to the sand. Meanwhile the water came up to us, soaking my feet, the tennis shoes and socks. W got pretty wet up to his waist too. A few sandcastles later and we were ready to head back to the bach.
Porangahau Paradise, they call it and it certainly made the stay comfortable. Lots of room to separate the kids and is close to the beach. It's never really a break when you take young children, but it was a change of scene and a bit of a slower pace. The kids enjoyed playing with different toys, sleeping in new rooms, and discovering a new space. Not sure that we'll squeeze any more trips in before Spring but at least hubby got to go somewhere this winter!

2 comments:
Charlie and I recently took a drive to the coast on the 4th and enjoyed the day alone. While reading your blog I remembered how much work it was to take the boys to the beach. We enjoyed many trips to the coast over the years. It gets easier and easier as they grow but when their older and have no interest in joining you thats when you wonder how did I get to this place? When did my babies grow up? Funny because that is what it is all about helping them to grow. Enjoy your family, lots of love Aunt Vickie
Love all the photos! What program are you using to make the collage?
Post a Comment
Thanks for leaving a comment on my post, I'm so happy you read it!